The job opportunities for a security guard position are always available. You just need a high school diploma or equivalent to become one. However, every state has its own particular procedure for hiring a security guard. There are specific courses or training schedules for different types of security guard positions. If you want to be a security guard in Florida, you will need a security license from the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Division of Licensing. The basic security guard license in Florida is Class D. In this article, we’ll discuss the criteria as well as the procedures for security guard training in Florida.
Basic Eligibility Requirements for Security Guard License
- You must be 18 years old.
- Must be a citizen or legal resident alien of the U.S or hold other appropriate work eligibility documentation.
- You must be mentally competent and free of any addictions.
- You must get the required security guard training.
Class D Security Guard Training Requirements
In order to apply for being a security guard in Florida, it is necessary to complete the 40-hour professional security guard training. This training is offered at the Security Officer School or Training Facility licensed by the Department of Agriculture Consumer Services.
You can get this training using one of the following two methods:
- Complete 40 hours of training before submitting the initial application.
- After completing 40 hours of training and before submitting the initial application, complete the 16 hours of training. Completion must be within 180 days of your initial application submission to the Division of Licensing.
Required Documents for Application
- A small passport size photograph.
- Proof of Training.
- Fingerprint-based criminal background check. For this, you may have to opt for Live Scan technology. The department also accepts fingerprints that you submit on inked cards.
- If you’ve been licensed in other states, you must provide the state’s name and the period of licensure.
- If you have a history of alcohol and drug abuse, you’ll have to provide references and evidence of rehabilitation.
- Similarly, if you’ve been diagnosed with mental illness, you must provide fitness documents from a Florida psychologist or psychiatrist.
- Licensing Fee = $45.00.
- Fingerprint Processing Fee = $42.00.
Total Fee = $87.00.
This fee can only be paid by money order, cashier’s check, or company check that is payable to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
Class D Security Guard Application
You can download the full application form for free from the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services website. Find all the detailed information about the application submission there.
You may also download the security guard application form here.
In conclusion, please know that the above requirements are for Class D security guard officers. In case of any query or further help regarding security guard training in Florida, you may ask Experienced Security Guard Training Help Center.